Fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peony View Post
    The way Josh is described, I wouldn't think Anna would want to have an affair with him. Or was she hot for him at first and then discovered he was a prima donna after he dumped her? After jumping in and out of marriage to Mark Valley she should have been good and tired by the time she got to Josh.

I don't know if it's child stardom that gives Josh an ego or just the idea that he believes himself to be smarter than the average bear. The Fringe producers seemed to cater to him.

Sarah Treem made a comment about talking to Maura, who was disappointed in her S1 story and felt that it wasn't what had been promised to her when she signed on. Treem promised to work on Helen and she did. Treem also discussed exchanged with the other actors, but when it came to Josh she said, basically, he tells her what he wants. It def sounded as if he asserted his preferences.

God, this thread is making my head hurt. The reddit guy deleted his comments. Everybody said at the time, he sure didn't want to stand behind the comments he made, because he wouldn't have deleted them otherwise. Plus people were providing evidence to contradict what he was saying. People rarely visiting set, was just laughable for example. A lot of people used to visit set, all the time.

I don't believe for one second that Josh and Anna were ever remotely interested in each other. They were never best friends but as one crew member said, they got along. As other people have said above, they were different people and had different preparation and approach, but they were always professional and they got the job done.

Where has Josh said that he thinks himself smarter than the average bear? I haven't heard him say that, so if you could provide the interview where he said that, that would be great. The fringe producers seemed to cater to him? I don't see that was the case.

It's my understanding that Sarah talks to some of the actors at the start of each season. Josh likes to know how the season plays out for his character, but Maura said that she doesn't. She likes to be surprised episode to episode. I'm sure Sarah tells them what the story is going to be each season, and they might have input into the story, but at the end of the day, it's Sarah's story and her decisions on how it plays out.
    Last edited by Sully; 12-17-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Josh has never said that he thinks himself smarter than the average bear. And I never said Josh said that. Superior intelligence. Unless you're Donald Trump, it's not something that one says about himself or herself. Still, it can be conveyed through demeanor. Even Josh jumping in at a panel and saying he knew exactly which Calvin and Hobbes machine inspired the writers exuded a certain confidence. He reads a lot. He knows a lot. He shows it.

Clearly, the Fringe producers did tell the story that they wanted to tell. If they hadn't, Anna and Josh wouldn't have been complaining about the Peter Was Never Born story turns. The actors weren't onboard with that plot. Generally, I think Fringe did cater to Josh. His time off is one example of that. When people complained about Peter missing, Josh said that they should blame him, not the show. He asked for that time away and got it. He also said they emailed him back and forth regarding story ideas.

With Sarah Treem, again, no one doubts that its her story. The story sucks and I think Josh knows it sucks. I wouldn't lay that show at his feet. But the way Sarah phrased her communications with the actors after S1 gave me the impression that Josh is liberal with his opinion.

Comment

An anonymous online dude with anonymous comments that he or she deleted, said Josh was arrogant and he and Anna didn’t like each other. From that, a whole fandom storyline spawned.

Long live the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post

Where has Josh said that he thinks himself smarter than the average bear? I haven't heard him say that, so if you could provide the interview where he said that, that would be great.

Why would you think that observation was based on a Josh quote?

Josh is certainly smarter than the average bear. No attribution needed. He may not be smarter than Yogi, but Yogi's not average.

Comment

Josh has never said that he thinks himself smarter than the average bear. And I never said Josh said that. Superior intelligence. Unless you're Donald Trump, it's not something that one says about himself or herself. Still, it can be conveyed through demeanor. Even Josh jumping in at a panel and saying he knew exactly which Calvin and Hobbes machine inspired the writers exuded a certain confidence. He reads a lot. He knows a lot. He shows it.

Clearly, the Fringe producers did tell the story that they wanted to tell. If they hadn't, Anna and Josh wouldn't have been complaining about the Peter Was Never Born story turns. The actors weren't onboard with that plot. Generally, I think Fringe did cater to Josh. His time off is one example of that. When people complained about Peter missing, Josh said that they should blame him, not the show. He asked for that time away and got it. He also said they emailed him back and forth regarding story ideas.

With Sarah Treem, again, no one doubts that its her story. The story sucks and I think Josh knows it sucks. I wouldn't lay that show at his feet. But the way Sarah phrased her communications with the actors after S1 gave me the impression that Josh is liberal with his opinion.

Josh never asked for time off. He got time off in season 3 because of the story with the alternate universe that they put into play. Reporters were on his case about "How do you feel like being the only one who doesn't get to do alternate versions", and his answer I think was "well I get time off", was his way of deflecting. He put a story idea to them at the end of season 3 about Peter and they decided to go with it. Again, it was the writers decision to do that, not his. They have the ultimate control, it's their show. He didn't know if Peter was going to be back in season 4, because he had no idea what direction they were going to go in season 4. They decided on another version and hence he got time off again. They ended up asking him to write the fringe comic during his hiatus in season 4 and they were emailing back and forward about that, because it had to fit in with what was going on in the show.

Comment

Yes, that’s a mischaracterization. Josh got time off b/c of the storyline, not b/c he asked for it. He joked a lot about having time off, but I thought it was obvious he was feeling left out.

I don’t think Josh being upfront with his opinion is new. Always was, always will be. On any topic.

Comment

Oh the Anna Torv fandom. They are nutty. There was never enough of her and if anyone else got a storyline there was hell to pay. I always took the JJ/Anna thing as people who worked together but were not best friends. It seemed that Anna got a bit precious with the method acting in season Three and JJ is most like a hyperactive puppy who is cute but yappy. I remember an interview with Jasika where she talked about not having enough to do and Anna maybe too much.

As for the Affair, I think Sarah is lucky that both Maura and JJ are on the show. They are the reason most people I know are still watching. I think Sarah is just a bit perturbed that most people find Noah to be the worst and prefer the other three. And Maura was right to be annoyed by season 1. There was a nasty undercurrent that somehow Helen was to blame for Noah’s cheating because she did not worship him enough.

And while I am sure JJ has a healthy ego like any actor he has never had a reputation as arrogant or hard to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post

Josh never asked for time off. He got time off in season 3 because of the story with the alternate universe that they put into play. Reporters were on his case about "How do you feel like being the only one who doesn't get to do alternate versions", and his answer I think was "well I get time off", was his way of deflecting. He put a story idea to them at the end of season 3 about Peter and they decided to go with it. Again, it was the writers decision to do that, not his. They have the ultimate control, it's their show. He didn't know if Peter was going to be back in season 4, because he had no idea what direction they were going to go in season 4. They decided on another version and hence he got time off again. They ended up asking him to write the fringe comic during his hiatus in season 4 and they were emailing back and forward about that, because it had to fit in with what was going on in the show.
                  Josh didn't only get emailed about the comic book. He got emailed about the plot, independent of it needing to mesh with the comic. It's not as if he had final approval, but they did give plot outlines and ideas to him and welcomed his feedback. They said as much at the panels when they appeared together.

I saw someone arguing about Fringe screen time in a forum just recently. I think they were arguing that Georgina was under-appreciated, of all people.

Josh has said that he hates people saying stupid things. It stresses him out and he doesn't suffer fools gladly. I hardly think he would paint himself as the most amiable Joe (or Josh) in the world and I don't think most of his fans would want him to be.

Comment

Hyperactive puppy that is cute but yappy, lol, great description. I can picture it.

Comment

Anna said during a joint (or mebbe trio) interview that JJ came in in the morning talking a mile a minute. He replied that she was more subdued, reserved or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn866 View Post

Why would you think that observation was based on a Josh quote?

Josh is certainly smarter than the average bear. No attribution needed. He may not be smarter than Yogi, but Yogi's not average.
                        People he's worked with have said he's a smart guy, so yes. I took it that way, because it was the way I interpreted what Peony, said initially. She clarified it for me, and it seems I took it in the wrong context.

Comment

The way Josh is described, I wouldn't think Anna would want to have an affair with him. Or was she hot for him at first and then discovered he was a prima donna after he dumped her? After jumping in and out of marriage to Mark Valley she should have been good and tired by the time she got to Josh.
                          Yeah, only a crazy woman would like to be with such a troublemaker like JJ, right? LOL
                          I think JJ tries to be a good person, but sometimes, it seems, he likes to make life too complicated. And his energy, I think, could be exhausting for some people. That´s probably why DK - who couldn´t be more different than him- didn´t want to date him in the first place and tried to stay away from him as much as possible (refused to move to Vancity, was always abroad on some set or event). Remember how she described their first date in her Conan interview? - she made it sound more like sexual harassement, not a date.

Do we even know what (or who ) caused Torv/Valley separation? She never mentioned why she left him so quickly. But to me she seemed very happy and chearful after her divorce was announced.
                          LGBT community think that Torv is one of them (she apparently "gives off gay vibes"), and that´s why, they say, Josh and AT couldn´t stand each other and didn´t like the romance-plot, because Josh is not a lesbian and Anna is one. - Yeah, right, this seems to be the most likely explanation. LOL

I don´t know what "gay-vibes" is, so here´s videos from the time before the alleged S3 BTS-drama, when AT was her chearful happy self (no bitterness, no Peter-hate).

Any "gay-vibes" noticed? I see not-so-subtle hair-flip, but I don´t know if it´s "gay" or not. LOL

Ed.: Can JJ go back to this look? Beard is great etc., but this was his best SDCC look, IMO.
                          Last edited by justafan; 12-14-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Did you watch Mindhunter? Anna's character is gay. Her lover was self-centered and dismissive. Wendy got up in the middle of dinner, left her and took the FBI job.

Diane joked that Josh would get a kick out of her love scenes with Ellen Page. It's a shame they never materialized.

Josh and Anna had a different vibe off screen in the first season than they did later on. I think they were friendly initially.

Comment

Did you watch Mindhunter? Anna's character is gay. Her lover was self-centered and dismissive. Wendy got up in the middle of dinner, left her and took the FBI job.

Diane joked that Josh would get a kick out of her love scenes with Ellen Page. It's a shame they never materialized.

Josh and Anna had a different vibe off screen in the first season than they did later on. I think they were friendly initially.
                              JJ/AT´s off-screen vibe became more hush-hush by the end of the show. Whatever trouble they had with each other in S3, it seemed to be gone.

1...jpg
                              http://fringeperceptionisthekey.tumb...st/27223230755

Yes, I watched Mindhunter. It´s funny that A.Torv is straight IRL and plays a lesbian, J.Groff is gay IRL and plays a straight man. Lena Olin was a pleasant surprise, even though it was short.

Comment

Fringe is cited on various little blogs every day, but I thought this coming from the New Yorker was pretty good.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/li...d-alias-fringe
                                What We’re Watching This Week

A new series about the mysterious death of an Army scientist, a whodunnit and psychological thriller set in Upper Canada, and a sci-fi show with a rare capacity for tenderness.

By The New Yorker

2:41 P.M.

The continued success of “Star Wars” and “Star Trek” suggests an odd truth: for all its focus on the future, sci-fi is often repetitious and nostalgic. All the more reason to check out “Fringe,” one of the most original sci-fi shows ever made. The show, which ran from 2008 through 2013, has a wacky premise: it follows an F.B.I. agent, Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv, who now stars in “Mindhunter”), as she investigates bizarre events with the help of a dropout named Peter (Joshua Jackson) and his mad-scientist father, Walter (John Noble). Walter has just been released from a mental institution; it turns out that, in the nineteen-seventies, he was a pioneer of “fringe science,” who fried his brain by doing a little too much research involving sensory-deprivation tanks and LSD. In the present day, however, his discoveries may be the key to solving Olivia’s psychedelic mysteries. In a typical episode, a man turns into a giant porcupine and the team—the trio plus Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole), their genius lab tech—does drugs to figure out why. The magic of “Fringe” is that a tremendously moving story emerges from the weirdness. As the monster-of-the-week episodes give way to a more serialized tale, the show turns out to be a mind-bending exploration of the nature of reality, and a meditation on guilt and forgiveness, the nature of personality, and the way we’re all changed by the people we know. Its central theme may be the love between a father and his son—“Fringe” has a tenderness rarely seen in sci-fi (or anywhere else). A few of its Season 1 episodes are wobbly—at first, you may find this “watch it or skip it?” guide valuable—but the series as a whole concludes ideally, resolving all of its story lines and achieving a level of emotional profundity that’s unusual in the genre. It also helps that the cast is stellar: in addition to Noble, whose performance is one for the ages, it includes Lance Reddick (Cedric Daniels from “The Wire”), Blair Brown (of “Altered States” and “Orange Is the New Black”), and Leonard Nimoy, in one of his last non-Spock roles. —Joshua Rothman

Comment

Working...
                                X