No announcement yet.

Fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re already on 9! That’s impressive. I enjoyed their early cases. The sci fi shows have a tendency to start with self-contained episodes and then expand into world-saving dramas. That can be fine, but it is in the individual cases that we get to know the characters best. I savor those.

Comment

Is that grams from dc in episode 12????

Comment

It sure is. You can see that she was younger than Grams, in this episode.

Comment

Tumbler cuteness.

CAD57F6C-AA84-4E16-B611-78E0DB8C7129.jpeg

Comment

Just watched the episode "Olivia. In the Lab. With the revolver." Funny how Omar Metwally was in it (he died, like he's going to on The Affair) as well as DK.

Comment

Old post about watching Fringe filming and Josh being very polite.

http://filminginbrooklyn.com/2008/07...omment-page-1/

Comment

A floor collapsed at Clemson in South Carolina, today. I thought of The Fringe episode when the floor fell through and Olivia and Peter finally got together.

Comment

[I would not consider Fringe a short-lived series.]

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...from=rss-basic

Royalty-free: Before Meghan was famous

Before Meghan snagged Harry, she would pretty much take on any role to further her acting career. Some of them were absolute stinkers.

FRINGE, 2009

As junior Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Amy Jessup, Meghan has a small role in two episodes of this short-lived series. In her first appearance, she’s seen at a crime scene arguing with Joshua Jackson about a car crash that seemed to happen without a driver behind the wheel of the car. Writers of the show had planned on having Amy Jessup return for more episodes but decided against it. It was nothing against the future duchess, producers said, they just wanted to stay focused on the main characters.

Comment

I cannot say that the Fringe pilot was gripping overall. It was the last five minutes where they were going to extract memories from a corpse that made me think I was going to like the show.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-t...-21st-century/

The 50 Best TV Pilots of the 21st Century

TweetSharePostBookmarkSubscribeFirst episodes are notoriously tough to pull off, but all of these shows started strong.

I have a friend who hates pilot episodes. It’s understandable, as the first episode of a series is often awkward, overly expository, sensationalized, and occasionally features a different cast than later episodes. Naturally, a piece of art gets better when more time is spent on it, so thanks to the speed with which new series are pumped out, plenty of pilots during our era of entertainment saturation have felt like messy rough drafts. A series doesn’t need a good pilot to become a good show, but there are still plenty of excellent pilots out there that deserve praise for exceeding expectations.

In my attempt to give TV pilots a better name, I did what any normal person would do: I watched a few hundred of them and made a list of 50 exceptional ones, ordered by a complex ranking system. Some notes: for organization’s sake and for my own sanity, I didn’t include miniseries that ran for a single season, children’s television, reality or variety shows, or anything that was created before the year 2000. The list is composed of adult narrative series from the 21st century. And before you press send on that comment, The Sopranos was in the ‘90s and therefore ineligible.

It would’ve been impossible to slap together a ranked list like this without a foundational criteria, so I identified six elements of a good pilot which I then used to evaluate each show that I watched (shoutout, as always, to Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall’s TV: The Book for inspiring me to consistently up my list-making game).

1. Does the pilot have a point of entry? Is it open enough for audiences to stick with it and respond positively?

2. Does the pilot have a sense of artistry–outstanding technical elements, writing or acting which sets it apart from other shows?

3. Does the pilot feel complete, and already contain the DNA of the show that it would later become?

4. Does the pilot feel fresh, or is it something I’ve seen dozens of times before?

5. Is the pilot relevant to the rest of the series, or does it feel random and detached?

6. Does the pilot still hold up today? Shows from the past two years can only score a two out of four on the final category since there hasn’t been time to view them with any decent sense of retrospect.

Below, check out the 50 greatest TV pilots of the 21st century.

E12E7478-6B39-4934-ACD3-A4FA4886D553.jpeg

Comment

Wow, that's surprising. I loved Fringe, and the pilot was definitely on an epic scale, but to me it was an average pilot, not as good as the pilot for Lost.

Comment

I'd put The Americans down as the best pilot I've seen.

Game of Thrones was another one where it wasn't until the very end that something shocking happened that made me decide I wanted to tune in again. Before that, I was on the fence about whether or not it was worth pursuing.

Comment

F4F48C72-7A1A-4264-97D6-37E730A4345A.jpeg Josh slayed me. All pea coat, all the time. Even when Peter was erased from the universe, the new Peter had that coat.
                          Last edited by London_Lady; 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

From time to time I come back to this interview from his Fringe days. He's so freaking gorgeous here.

Comment

C3C85EEE-662E-49CB-88C3-E2C8E3D604AF.jpeg

Comment

[email protected]@._V1_.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X