• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn866
    replied
    4 Chan says:

3D3D4EC4-A927-4B3C-B455-1D7CF87C30AD.jpeg
    Surprisingly, what I resent most about this comment is the idea that today X-Files is just a 4.

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Snyde
    replied
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.03.35 PM.png

Leave a comment:

• London_Lady
    replied
    738BA833-5053-4277-901C-2CAF91451BFC.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• London_Lady
    replied
    Heartbreaking. I can’t believe how much work he was able to do while battling this.

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Snyde
    replied
    Rest in Peace Chadwick Boseman. Thank you for Cameron, the man who brought Peter Bishop back to existence.

86a5a0beece9ca39a9f81a5c2bd3611f.jpgDuJwchqXQAAJKMB.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Lynn866
    replied
    B29A97D4-0C27-41E0-A4AC-7AECA256D4EE.jpegD69A8FD8-4595-4801-ACC7-69B0B09C39C8.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Madison Avenue
    replied
    Differential treatment is hard to put into words. Suffice it to say you know it when you are living it. Trying to convey it to another person only makes it sound trivial. But when you are in the midst of it, you feel it. It is not only in what they say and do to you, it is in the look and the tone of voice that accompanies their actions.

When Jasika complains that her character was expendable and could be killed off anytime, I cannot empathize there. Sorry. You don’t go into the acting profession if you want job security. If Fringe made Jasika cringe every time she received a script, imagine what it would be like working on The Walking Dead. Unemployment looms behind every walker.

Unless you work on a sitcom, you can expect to be expendable. In a crime procedural or a drama, yes you can be killed off anytime. If they need a ratings boost during sweeps month, they will kill off a beloved character. If your character is related to one of the leads, if your character is in love with one of the leads, they will kill you off to give the star Emmy winning scenes to play.

And we all know that red shirts die. Do minorities wear more of the red shirts? Possibly. When you see that Tom Cruise has a best friend who is black, you do not expect that fellow to make it to the end of the movie. But all characters are fair game. If it is not a comedy, sooner or later someone will bite the dust. White, black, Puerto Rican (oh, I know that Kirk Avecedo left voluntarily, still the point remains and I cannot resist a Prince lyric ...)
    Last edited by Madison Avenue; 08-24-2020, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    I think we can better understand why Lance chose Astrid’s parallel story as his favorite episode.

It is amusing that he thinks you should watch Wire from the beginning all the way through and he only chooses one episode of Fringe to binge.

Leave a comment:

• Lynn866
    replied
    14EA1BF9-4111-446A-844A-0EC00B9BE320.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    @thejasikanicole has a long thread regarding Fringe on her Twitter. She discusses Walter forgetting her name, when he remembered everyone else so. She said she’s talked about it for years but it is only because John Noble apologized that it is getting attention now. She also describes the disparate treatment she received from that of other cast members.

What she says about getting a ride reminds me of something I went through with a hotel employee. Don’t tell me you can’t do something when it’s not the policy, when you and I both know that you have the discretion to do it if you like and that you’ve done it 1000 times before. Just be honest and say that you don’t feel like doing it for ME.

I did not know they were all assigned a number, based on their order of importance. I assume that Josh’s number was 3. But I think we all know that he probably had #1 in everyone’s mind on the crew.

As for names, I believe Endora on Bewitched made that famous. She never remembered her son-in-law’s name because she did not like him and she intended to insult him. That is not the reason that Walter could not remember Astrid’s name. He probably spent more time with her than he did with anyone else. Ignoring the way it made Jasika feel, I would say it happened not because of her race, but because of her status. I think any assistant would be treated the same, because the “little people” are inconsequential. That fix the question of why Jasika had to have the role of the character with the least amount of status.

Her conclusion that it was racist is based on her first hand reaction to being there and knowing the people involved. So I don’t question her takeaway, but as a viewer I think it was hierarchy based on professional and educational status, not race. The Walter we knew was a better man than he had been in the past, it he had remnants of the callous, arrogant genius who sacrificed lives for his own vision and glory. That Walter would forget or pretend to forget an assistant’s name. It might be a powerplay, as in the way Peter called Olivia “sweetheart” in the pilot. He’s crazy and needs to be minded. His son bosses him around. Maybe he needs to have control over someone and Astrid is that someone.

But we know it is possible to play a low status character without the actor being shorted. Look at Daphne on Frasier. She was “just” the physical therapist and she lived with them so she could take care of the father. Yet the scripts gave her plenty of opportunity to shine and expand.

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Snyde
    replied
    He's staying consistent. Lance said that was his favorite episode at 2012 Comic Con.

Leave a comment:

• Peony
    replied
    He could have said he liked the episodes where Peter stopped existing the best and recommended that folks start binging whenever there was no Joshua Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• Charlee
    replied
    Whut? JJ says his mom wants to sleep with you and this is the thanks he gets? This is war, Reddick!

Leave a comment:

• Lynn866
    replied
    It is unselfish of Lance to pick an Astrid episode instead of one of his own, but he can really only think of one episode of Fringe to watch? And it comes all the way in the fourth season? Come on, man! There’s a video. You can see and hear him making the selections on EW.

BE0A446A-F4A0-414D-AA2B-86AF4969E996.jpegF7660687-E250-43E2-AB17-7111CFB33051.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Emma
    replied
    1A5BB3FC-A33E-4468-836D-3173E0047E27.jpeg0B4A2CDD-CAEB-4409-B94B-42C012A517F8.jpeg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X